Steve was born and raised in Chinook, Montana. He received a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry and his master's degree in education from Montana State University. He also has a master's degree in educational psychology from the University of Hawaii. He moved to Curry County in 1970 where he was an educator, involved in his church and a 4-H leader. He retired after 32 years as a teacher, counselor, coach and advisor at Gold Beach High School. Presently he:
- works part-time for Cal-Ore Life Flight as an EMT-I
- is a member of ORCA - a Region 6 Inter-agency Incident Medical Specialist Team
- serves as a line-medic on forest fires
- substitute teaches at Gold Beach High
- tutors an occasional student in math.
This year Steve is President of the Curry County Chapter of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans as well as President of the congregation of Trinity Lutheran Church in Brookings.
Any remaining time is spent surfing, steelhead fishing or scuba diving.