Ready to Smile provides much-needed dental prevention and educational services to children in schools throughout Coos and Curry counties,
Ready to Smile is a citizen-driven effort to improve children’s dental health.
Ready to Smile coordinates and provides services that prevent and treat children’s dental health problems.
The program provides:
• No-fee dental screenings to grades 1, 2, 6 and 7 in most Coos and Curry county schools, plus Reedsport. (Services are provided at the school.)
• Dental sealants, fluoride varnish and oral hygiene kits to participating students in the above grades. Licensed dental hygienists and assistants provide these services.
• Staff members provide assistance with dental insurance questions and referrals to dental offices
for urgent care.
Dental screenings and sealants are provided by dental professionals at no cost to the students, along with oral hygiene education to prevent cavities. Mobile dental van visits are organized to serve students who need cleanings and treatment. In addition, students are referred to local dentists for treatment.
Ready to Smile is managed by a local Steering Committee representing Coos and Curry counties. The program is coordinated by Cecilee Shull of Coos County Public Health.
In 2010, the Curry Health Foundation and the Rotary Club of Gold beach coordinated their main fundraising event/goal to help support this effort. The Annual ‘High on Health’ dinner raised $21,700 which was then matched by the Oregon Community Foundation. The Ready to Smile program is fully funded for at least three years.
During the 2010/2011 school year, kids in Curry County received over $75,000 in dental care, including screenings, sealants, fluoride varnishes, education and referrals to needed services for grades 1, 2, 6 and 7. In 2011/2012, these services will be expanded to also include dental vans at the schools as needed.
September 2011 – May 2012 Statistics
- Schools Visited: 11
- Students Screened: 755
- Value of Service Provided: $135,945
- Sealants Applied: 2,978
- Average Number of Sealants Applied per Student: 4.4
- Varnish Treatments Applied: 644
- Statistics are for students in grades 1, 2, 6, & 7
Ready to Smile has been made possible by generous contributions from The Oregon Community Foundation, The Ford Family Foundation, Curry Health Foundation, Gold Beach and Bandon Rotary Clubs, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Wild Rivers Community Foundation, Soroptimists of the Coos Bay Area and many volunteers.